These bare aluminum conductors are suitable for use in all practical spans on wood poles, transmission towers, and other structures. Applications include:
- Long, extra high voltage (EHV) transmission lines
- Sub-service spans at distribution
- Utilization voltages on private premises
ACSR (aluminum conductor steel-reinforced) has a long service record because of its economy, dependability, and strength to weight ratio. The combined light weight and high conductivity of aluminum with strength of the steel core enables higher tensions, less sag, and longer spans than any alternative.
AAC (all aluminum conductor) is the most economical bare overhead conductor due to its lighter weight. It offers easier handling during installation and use of simpler fittings. The wire is corrosion resistant due to its homogeneous construction.
AAAC is an alternative where AAC conductors do not provide the required strength and ACSR conductors are not required or suitable.
Bare Overhead Conductor Properties
ACSR Applicable Standards and Construction:
- ASTM B-232: Concentric Lay Aluminum Conductors
- ASTM B-230: Aluminum 1350-H19 Wire for Electrical Purposes
- ASTM B-498: Zinc Coated (Galvanized) Steel Core Wire for ACSR
A solid or concentric stranded central steel core is surrounded by one or more layers of concentric stranded aluminum alloy 1350. The wire is protected from corrosion with a zinc coating.
AAC Applicable Standards and Construction:
- ASTM B-230: Aluminum 1350-H19 wire for electrical purposes.
- ASTM B 231: Concentric Lay Stranded Aluminum 1350 Conductors.
Aluminum alloy 1350 wires concentric lay stranded wrapped helically around a central wire. Each successive layer has six wires more than the previous underlying layer. Outer layer is right hand lay and reversed in successive layers.
AAAC Applicable Standards:
- ASTM B-398: Aluminum Alloy 6201-T81 aluminum alloy conductors
- ASTM B-399: Concentric Lay stranded 6201-T81 aluminum alloy conductors
Bare aluminum alloy conductors made of 6201 Aluminum alloy are wrapped helically around a central wire.